- All men of military age are required to register for Selective Service, including illegal immigrants.
- One in ten soldiers who have died in Iraq were immigrants.
- About five percent (!!!!) of soldiers in the US armed forces are illegal immigrants.
- The first solder to die in Iraq was Marine Lance Cpl. Jose Gutierrez, who was an illegal immigrant from Guatemala.
- Many immigrant soldiers who died in Iraq enlisted as soon as they arrived. These people fought and died for a new home they were never allowed to enjoy, and they died for freedoms and principles from which they never personally benefitted.
- Illegal immigrants make up less than three percent of the US population, and yet comprise five percent of US armed forces. That means they are about twice as likely to enlist as a citizen.
...maybe that's not such a crazy question after all.